Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Working Past My Fears.....

With my goal being to start my own nonprofit foundation and opening community center, I think its interact and volunteer with other organizations. I think volunteering with existing organizations whose main focus is to have personal interaction with the community and giving all they can. I always believed that volunteering is an fulfilling and rewarding experience that is somewhat priceless. I volunteer with several organizations since high school and these are just a few of my favorites:
• Habitat for Humanity
• The Black Star project
• The Glass Slipper Project
• Chicago Cares
• M. G. R. foundation's CareTeams
• One Brick
• And a few others that I can't remember it now

Recently I have reached out to move the directors of these programs for interviews but without receive any responses it. Yet! So sad.... but that doesn't discourage me from working with them and contributing to my community and city.

Fear. I have let fear deter me from so many things in my life back as far as I can remember. I'm always had a fear of public speaking and it would drive me into full-on panic attack, hyperventilating and all. Usually a good freak out would get me out of presenting a paper or project but rarely would I suck it up and just go for it. I would take the lower grade if it meant that I didn't have stand in front of my class. It wasn’t because I wasn’t prepared or didn’t know what I was talking about. I was the fear of judgment or ridicule that would make me just give up time and time again. I also flunked high school Speech because of it. Thankfully my stage fright has improved over the years and I have been able to push past the panicking. I believe my shyness had a lot to do with it. I know most people wouldn't believe that I was a terribly shy child but I was. I’m still working past public speaking issues because I know that it will hinder me professionally if I don’t get past them. Work in progress….

1 comment:

  1. that's very impressive with all of the volunteer projects

    Ben

    ReplyDelete