And remember, no matter where you go, there you are. ~ Confucius
So I interviewed the two people in my life that have known me the longest and the best, my granny and mother gave some quite interesting and very different answers. But that’s kind of what I was expecting…. I asked them the following three questions:
What was I like in the first five years of my life?
Mom: “Bad, bad, bad. Cried every day for the first year of your life. Inquisitive. Very advanced for your age. Very shy like me. Good with your hands. You liked to build things. Talkative with family.”
Granny: “When you were a little baby, you cried a lot but after that were a sweet baby. Wasn’t normally friendly with strangers and you’re still like that. Liked clothes. Traveled a lot. Mimicked people just like most kids in a derogatory way. Typical child. Didn’t like to share. Only child syndrome. Kind of bossy.”
What things did I love, what games did I like to play, what did you think was unique about me?
Mom: “You loved LEGOS, Barney, Jell-O, Goldfish crackers, coloring, Winnie the Pooh, Board games like Shoots/Ladders, Candyland. Your unique qualities were one bow leg like your granny, big lips and hated the baby bed.”
Granny: “You loved your baby swing, back seat of the Jeep truck, Barney, liked to play house. Hated a blue teddy bear. Your unique quality was that you had a mind of your own even as a child. Very stubborn child.”
What did you think I would become when I grew up?
Mom: “I thought you would be an artist or a writer. Definitely something creative. You’re very emotional and artist and writer are very emotional.”
Granny: “I thought you would do something with leadership and directing people. Like a teacher or something. You’re kind of bossy but still sweet.”
Next, I had to ask five of my closest friends to list what they thought my greatest gift/strengths were and here’s what they said:
Melanie (who I have known for about year and we were suite mates last year): “Confident. Speaks your mind. Loyal. Supportive and available to your friends in a time of need.”
Brittany (who I’ve known for a few months but has always had my back): “Pretty bold personality. Outspoken. Considerate. Good listener.”
Amanda (who I have known for about year, we were suite mates last year and we’re pretty close): “ No bullshit. Strong black woman. Very organized and clean!!!”
Julian (my oldest friend): “You show initiative. Don’t hesitate in doing what needs to be done. Very direct and open about certain things. Pay it forward. Isn’t phased by others opinions. Doesn’t crumble under pressure. Good planner. Well organized. Sensible when it comes to relationships and sex. Always conscious of certain situations.”
Raphael (a guy I dated for a while and remained friends with): “You seem very focused and you know what you want. That gives you a big advantage over people your age. People your age don’t really know what they want wan or what they want to do. In short, your resolve is your greatest gift.”
Now on the last bit of business…that didn’t go quite so well. I chose to go out and buy something for a homeless person. I was downtown today doing some light shopping and became brave enough to ask an older black man sitting on the street if he’d like me to buy him something to eat. He cussed me out and said he didn’t need a thing from me. I quickly walked away but still felt sorry him. Then I asked a homeless woman roaming the streets if she’d like me to buy her something to eat or anything. She gave me a crazy stare and quickly walked away. I was done after that. It just shows that even though you’re homeless and have very few worldly possessions, you still maintain some pride, self-respect and refuse to take handouts. I really wanted to help these people but I understand their reactions and respect it. I just pray that those people and everyone homeless finds away of the streets and a better life.
Thank you for reading.
Peace and Blessings.
Kierra AKA “HumbleDiva”
Monday, January 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Your blog was very interesting and the activity that you chose ended in a fascinating way lol. In your opinion, do you think they would have accepted your help if had given them money?
ReplyDeleteI know they would have accepted it that's why I didn't offer it. I saw a man just the other day getting drunk in Starbucks. I wanted to help these people not help feed into their possible addictions.
ReplyDelete